Friday, October 19, 2018

FREE eBook


eBook Screenshot
Wired Love  – A Romance of Dots and Dahes by Ella Cheever Thayer
Free ebook Transcribed from 1880 by Andrew Katz
eBook Screenshot

Nattie is 19 and trying to make it on her own.  To that end, she has rented a room from a gossiping busy-body of a landlord, with other tenants and works a going-nowhere job at the telegraph office.  Her job can be tedious as well as boring.  That is until she receives a message from someone at the “X n” office that flusters her. “Had you not better go home and send someone who is capable of receiving this message?”

This story is great fun and you can easily relate what they do with their telegraphy equipment to modern-day texting and internet use.
eBook Screenshot
““There certainly is something romantic in talking to a mysterious person, unseen, and miles away!” thought Nattie, as she put on her hat.”

Another fun aspect was all of the words I did not recognize.  Because I read it in Kindle, I was able to highlight them and get the definition. For any of you word nerds, these are most of the ones I highlighted if you care to test your knowledge: jocose, presentiment, anathematized, disquietude, substantive, appertaining, disgorges, cognomen, indefatigable, Charlotte Russe, sagacious, recherché, equanimity, lugubriousness, caprice, inamorata, salubrious.

I enjoyed the Bohemian dinner party very much.  It brought back my youth and the days of being inventive and making do.
There is a series of misunderstandings that adds to the drama, and is extremely relatable to today. “For on the wire in the telegraphic world, as well as elsewhere, are idle, mischief-making people, who cannot endure to see others enjoying themselves, if they also have no share.”

This is a clean, secular story set in America during the days of the telegraph.  It is FREE to download from the internet (please note, some reviewers have complained about the poor quality of the hard copy, so an eBook might be best):

CLICK HERE






a Morse key circa. 1900
Note: An electrical telegraph was independently developed and patented in the United States in in 1837 by Samuel Morse. He assistant, Alfred Vail, developed the Morse code signaling alphabet with Morse.


(5 stars)

Wild heather flowers!


5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read - and no, I haven't heard of most of those words, just a few of them.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Diana. Thanks for stopping in. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the book! Have a blessed weekend!
      ~Heather

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!! This sounds like something I would love so much!! I just picked it up and can't wait to find time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. I can't recall who shared about it, but I am glad I had a chance to add it to my Kindle recently, and then settle in read it the other evening. Enjoy!
      ~Heather

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an interesting book! Thank you for sharing. I liked your review and all the big words you wrote that you had to look up : ) Thanks for stopping by my blog as well and taking the time to read my review and comment! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete