Saturday, October 13, 2018

Flossie's Tea Cakes and True Nobility

Author, Lori Bates Wright was kind enough to send me a sweet recipe card tucked in with her new book: True Nobility.
Having just finished the book yesterday, I wanted to try making "Flossie's Tea Cakes" which turned out to be more of a buttery shortbread cookie, but none-the-less perfect for teatime.   Since it has been raining all morning, tea and biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to chamber music and baking.
I really love a good bit of edgy danger, without grim details and a hero who saves the day.  Add in some clever banter & romance with a lovely aristocrat and by George you have something!
True Nobility – The Saberton Legacy Book #1
Lori Bates Wright

•°o•:*:•. Damsel in Distress with Clever Banter.•:*:• o°•
I recently found out about this new book because another author (Roseanna M. White) shared the cover she had designed.  I loved it and decided to investigate and ended up offering to join Lori’s street team.  I am very glad I did. 
England 1860, Midnight
“Moonlight fell through an open casement as a rising shadow crept closer to the bed.”
Now, how’s that for an opening line? It’s one of many that implies danger and intrigue which kept me guessing.
Nicholas Saberton is an American naval captain and runs Haverwood Shipping.  He has been summoned to escort the no-nonsense Lord Haverwood and his daughter, Lady Victoria, from England to the colonies.  He is a large, formidable man who speaks his mind and is not used to being summoned, particularly without explanation.  However, out of respect for family ties, he agrees and is thrown into a whirlwind of peril and secrets, and a feisty female to boot. FUN QUOTE: “Never make the mistake of confusing me with your average man.”
Lady Victoria has been groomed at finishing school and trained by her uptight father to hold her tongue regardless of her opinions.  However, Nicholas finds great amusement in provoking her beyond her well-trained manners.  They lob jabs at each other continually that are amusing and at times, sweet. 
Zachery Saberton captains The Tempest and is the youngest of the three Saberton brothers.  He is of a gentler nature, yet still a strong and dependable young man.  I enjoyed him as well.
Aunt Charlotte is quite the colorful character who is a kindly middle-aged woman without a mean bone in her body and, along with her lovely and musically talented daughter Aurora, are of the American Haverwoods.
Here is a close up of the recipe, however, I found
12-15 minutes cook time worked best in my oven.
TEA MOMENT: “Tell Flossie to put on a kettle for tea.  Edward likes his tea, you know. My, my, my, but look at you. What a beauty.”  -Aunt Charlotte

SPECIAL QUOTE: “Simmons, man the prow. It’s just a squall. We’ll ride it out.  There’s blue skies up ahead.”  I won’t reveal a spoiler here, but this scene was, for me, a tear-jerker.
There were several interesting quotes above each chapter, from scriptures to famous authors.  Laugh out loud moments and ones that made me smile were also enjoyed.  I liked the way Tori and Nicholas came together and recommend this historical love story. Another bonus was the large font this book is printed in. Much appreciated.
Sierra Vista Books – 2018
"Let morning bring me word of Your
unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Psalm 143-8
Ch. 18
The author sent me a complimentary book in the hopes of a favorable review, with no further compensation.
I hope you will order Lori's new book.
Lori is very sweet and approachable.
Find her at Lori Bates Wright.com
Picture
As I mentioned earlier, it's FINALLY been raining here in So Cal.  Here are a few pictures I took today. 


7:00 a.m. Golden Skies after last night's storms
My navel oranges are starting to ripen & God
has watered them for me :)
Pumpkins covered in drops I spotted
while out shopping this morning.


Rain drops linger on the wee flowers
Today October 13, 2018 happens to the U.S. Navy's 243rd birthday, so I wanted to wish my daddy many happy returns and once again, thank him for his service.

As always, hugs and a cup of tea!






No comments:

Post a Comment