Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Road to Paradise

art by: Creative Carmella Designs Incidentally her
shop is closed because her family is busy visiting
all of the National Parks in her home state! How cool is that?
But check the link above later if you are interested in her beautiful style.
The Road to Paradise – A Vintage national Parks Novel - by Karen Barnett
Ashford Washington 1927
Margaret Lane: Ch. 1 As a child she’d dreamed of living and working in Mount Rainier National Park, a park her father had campaigned to create. In time she realized that the daughters of United States senators didn’t run off to live in the woods.  They endured a slow death at the hand of high-society parties and tedious political functions.
She has an opportunity to be a naturalist, studying the park and all its glorious details God has laid out. Margie’s former fiancé is a villain you love to hate! So smug, so self-righteous, and so calculating.

Chief Ranger Ford Brayden enjoys a simple, bachelor lifestyle in the park.  He is quite surprised to be saddled with the nature smitten Margie and fully expects to send her packing in short order. That is until he realizes who her father is and what her presence means to the park. He is a kind man, but a little inclined to make assumptions and definitely outside his element when outside of the park.  He has no use for God and cannot understand how Margie can see God in EVERYTHING.

Sweet God Moment: Ch. 22 Her hero, John Muir, had spent weeks and months rambling the High Sierra.  Margie closed her eyes, the expansive view overwhelming her senses. Lord, help me find my way.  I love Your creation, but I’m not ready to spend the night alone out here.  A gentle breeze lifted the ends of her hair, bringing the lush smell of the heather. She took a deep breath, thankful for her slowing heartbeat. God was present, even out here in the dark. Scripture floated into her mind, and she whispered the familiar words to the wind: “The darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.”
Karen certainly crafts a beautiful story and the words pull you right into the scenery.

Tea Moment:   First off, this book starts out with two mentions of tea. One in the dedication and then a quote under that from C.S. Lewis – one we all know and love, I’m sure. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” Surprisingly, I would not read tea related text until the final chapter of the book, and then my heart was quite happy indeed; Luke popped outside, a giant grin lighting his face. “I thought I heard voices.  I’m glad you survived the trip. I’ve got the kettle on. Would you like some tea?”
Margie threw her arms around him. “I would love some. I’m so glad to see you.”

NOTE: This is a stand-alone novel, and fine to read out of order, as per the author.

After reading Where the Fire Falls, I happily gobbled up this story and truly loved it.  Now on to the FREEBIE short story, Christmas in Paradise, posted on her website. My opinion is my own and given freely (true story!). 

Read: 6/14&15/2018 - Reviewed: 6/23/2018 / 5 Stars ☆☆☆☆☆

FREE STUFF – Go to Karen's website to get a free novelette, vintage style postcards, digital poster and bonus eBook “Women of the National Parks”.  So generous and fun!


My posts related to this one: Bookmark Fun


Until next time, hugs and a cup of tea!

In my cup: Gaither Promise Tea - sent by a dear friend & how I love it!
The tag reads: "Gentle Shepherd, we need your strength from day today."
I am on the hunt for more, but alas I think it may no longer be made
(at least not by Gaither).
After searching Google (as I am multitasking while writing this,
it seems to be made by Scripture Tea.  They mention
American Hero Tea on their site, but no way to order it...
grrrrrr. Hopefully, I figure it out! 
It would be super cute for
Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment