I have recently been watching a ton of vintage classics since my dad and I discovered them on Amazon Prime while he was here visiting for Father's Day and many are included free with my annual membership. However, this particular classic is also available in full on YouTube and is copy pasted below for you :-)
RHYTHM IN THE CLOUDS
1937 (black and white)
FUN CONCEPT - SHORT MOVIE - LOVELY MUSIC
Judy (played by Patricia Ellis) can't pay her rent and has just a few hours to vacate her apartment in quite possibly the most polite eviction I've ever seen. Judy comes up with a plan to stay in the presently vacated apartment of Mr. Hale, a man she was supposed to meet for a business meeting to discuss composing. When she answers his phone, she hears opportunity knocking! That's not the only thing knocking... her new neighbor, Bob McKay, played by the handsome Warren Hull, continually knocks on the walls to quite her and she knocks back! This starts a continuing feud between the two until they eventually discover they are working together. The continually flustered Clyde Lyons (William Newell) adds several points of comedic relief to the movie. The story is smart and sweet plus the music is lovely. At about the 12:00 mark you hear the music (about a minute and a half long) for "Don't Ever Change" (Written by Walter Hirsch and Lou Handman). I really loved this piece and swear I've heard it before, though I've never seen the movie. Later in the movie it is sung by Warren Hull at the 22:30 mark. Another fun song was "Two Hearts Are Dancing" (same authors) sung by Ellis and Hull at the end of the movie.
My only complaint about Judy was her tendency to get dramatically nervous and want to flee, though she never does. Just a little odd.
I would certainly watch it again. It's only 53 minutes, so you can certainly pop in your headphones and squeeze it on your lunch hour, and then go back to work a happy camper!
(TIP - When you find one movie in full on YouTube or Amazon, it generally leads you to others you can bookmark).
OTHER MOVIES I HAVE ENJOYED LATELY
![]() |
| I have only watched The Stork Club but I like this picture of her, and I see that The Perils of Pauline (1947) is also on Amazon Prime. |
This movie was so much fun. My dad and I laughed out loud several times & really enjoyed the songs. I've even looked up Betty Hutton on you-tube to add the song Doctor, Lawyer and an Indian Chief to my vintage playlist there. When she rescues a stranger from drowning he decides to secretly reward her financially and has his lawyer set her up with unlimited funds, believing she's too kind to take advantage. However, she can't believe her good fortune, literally, and sets to work trying to figure out who is putting a leash on her... by SPENDING his money to draw him out. The fur coat scenes bring lots of laughs. Meanwhile, she befriends Pop, the sweet little old man she rescued, having no idea that he is her mysterious benefactor. During this time her Marine boyfriend returns to town only to discover she is a kept woman. Filled with mayhem, misunderstandings and music this movie is a good time all around. At times, Betty Hutton's over-the-top performances remind me of Lucille Ball with all of her crazy contortions; a feat not anyone can accomplish.
(Free here: on YouTube or here Amazon Prime)
You Can't Take it With You (1938) Jean Arthur / James Stewart
This movie is one of my favorites, so much so that I bought the remastered dvd. "Lional Barrymore is the eccentirc patriarch of a clan of frustrated artists who dedcided 30 years earlier to retire from the rat race and use his fortune to encourage friends and family to pursue vocations that really interest them. At the center of his family is his granddaughter, Jean Arthur, who is carrying on a romance with her boss' son, James Stewart." -IMD You can watch it here on YouTube, but the quality appears to be that of someone who videotaped their t.v. so the remastered version is certainly preferred.
I adore Jean Arthur and she and Jimmy Stewart really click together. They were also in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) together. Additionally, she starred in The Devil and Miss Jones with Robert Cummings (1941) and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town with Gary Cooper (1936).Back in 2015 (oh my! has it really been that long?) I shared this gem:
![]() |
| Click here for the movie snipped of the song |
I hope you will check out some of these movies that harken back to simpler times and lots of good clean fun! As I am writing this, I have stumbled across several more movies that I am adding to my queue (smile). Now to go brew a cuppa, sit back and enjoy one!
Until next time,
Hugs and a cup of tea.




I love old movies! We have You Can't Take It With You on dvd too and it's one of our favorites. I will need to watch the other movies you mentioned. I haven't seen them before. Tea For Two sounds familiar though.
ReplyDeleteOh and I've seen Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Mr.Deeds Goes to Town. I love Frank Capra movies. Have you seen Lilies of the Field with Sidney Pontier? It's a wonderful family movie, I highly recommend.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I love, love, love old movies. We watch a lot of The Thin Man series, Life with Father, and anything with Myrna Loy, Irene Dunne , Jean Arthur, and Claudette Cobert. The old movies are the best.
ReplyDelete