BOOK REVIEW
The Daughter of Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides Book 2)
by: Carrie Turansky
Book 2 picks up right where book # 1 left off and is every
bit as wonderful. In case you missed my
review of book 1, these stories remind us very much of Downton Abbey, but with
a much softer, more spiritual feel.
•°o•:*:•.ANOTHER
WINNER.•:*:• o°•
Opening in 1912 London, England, Julia and Sir William are
now engaged and have moved the family to the Ramsey home for “the season”,
where debutante Katherine Ramsey is due to make her debut. Under the guiding hand of her extremely
forceful Aunt Louisa, she is learning the proper etiquette, making her way
through invitations, sizing up potential suitors and attending parties, teas, art
exhibits and balls, all with the end goal of marrying into a proper family.
Julia’s brother Jon is finishing his medical training and
comes to stay with them. There is
immediate chemistry between Jon and Katherine, but he is not the “right sort”
of match Aunt Louisa has in mind.
Lydia has come along as a ladies maid. I picture her as Daisy from Downton Abbey,
but with stronger faith. She ends up on
an adventure of her own trying to help locate her missing sister Helen who has
run away with her rowdy boyfriend Charlie Gibbons. She enlists the help of Jon and Katherine, mainly
because she assists Katherine and Jon works in London’s East End, which is
dangerous but may be a link to finding Helen.
There are many enjoyable characters in this book and
Katherine has many choices to make along the way as she navigates society and
her own growing faith in God.
Once again, this book is filled with faith and scripture; and
is a TRUE Christian novel. Here is a
favorite quote of mine from page #124:
‘He placed one hand on the woman’s shoulder and the other on
the boy’s and closed his eyes. “Father, I come to You on behalf of Mrs.
Cummings and her young son Peter. You
see their situations, and You know exactly what they need. I ask You to watch over them and provide for
them. Please help Peter’s arm heal
properly and quickly. And please give Mrs. Cummings the strength she needs to
care for her family. We ask You to show
Your great love and power in their lives.
Thank You for hearing our prayer.
We’ll be watching and waiting for Your answer. We ask these things in the name of Jesus.
Amen.” ’
Isn’t that lovely? I
love how she capitalizes You when referring to the Lord. I do that too! Also, she gives the reader a biblical example
of how to pray – see Mathew 6:6-13
and Ephesians 5:20 first approaching the Father, and then asking in Jesus
name. This was something I had to learn,
and am happy to see in this writing.
I again read this story in just a
couple of days and recommend it to anyone who enjoys faith filled period
romances.
Currently available at Target,
as well as (click here ->) Christian Book Discounters
I can not wait for Book 3 which
is set to release October 2015.
5 out of 5 teacups toasting!
Things that are included: Reader’s Guide (which I never use)
Complete Edwardian Brides Series:
The Governess of
Highland Hall (Book 1- 2013)
The Daughter of
Highland Hall (Book 2 - 2014)
A Refuge at Highland
Hall (Book 3 - 2015)
Carrie is very sweet and approachable online.
I received a copy as a birthday gift and opinions are my
own.
© 2014 Multinomah Books – a Div. of Random House
326 Pages
Read: 02/05-07/2015 Reviewed: 2/09/2015

I also like how she capitalizes You when referring to our Heavenly Father.
ReplyDeleteI have a review posting in the morning about `30 Events That Shaped The Church (Alton Gansky)