Friday, September 7, 2018

Teatime, Crumpets and Cowpies

I so enjoyed this book by a new-to-me author!
***PROPER FUN***
Thane Jordan is a self-made cowboy who’s had to fend for himself ever since his brother, 
Click to enlarge & read
back of book description.
Henry, left for England.  Years have passed and he has received word from Henry’s solicitor, Weston, that his brother has passed on and named him in his will. He boards a ship to determine why in the world he needs to show up in person instead of simply corresponding by mail to settle the affairs.
Lady Jemma is shocked to discover she is not named in the will and is at the mercy of a strange, American cowboy.
The two are immediately at odds and constant banter between the two is great fun throughout the story.  What Jemma does with the trunks is both laughable and genius!
Weston is a delightful older gentleman with a twinkle in his eye that I enjoyed.
There are plenty of tea moments, much to my delight, and since the story moves between England and Oregon in 1890 it was interesting to experience both settings.
Click to enlarge.
TEA MOMENT: Ch. 9 Jemma sipped her tea and gazed at him over her cup, unaware of how appealing he found that particular pose.
Ch. 18 “I do pop on the kettle and make myself a cup of tea most afternoons. There is something about the ritual of heating the water, brewing the tea, and sitting quietly to sip it from one of my mother’s teacups that brings me a measure of comfort and peace.”
Click to enlarge.
Ch. 18 Tully slathered a warm crumpet with butter and jam, taking a big bite before slurping his tea.  (Tully is another big ole sweetheart I enjoyed in the story.)
Ch. 21 “Would you like me to make a fresh pot of coffee?” “No. What I’d really like is a cup of your tea and if you tell anyone I requested it, I’ll deny it to my dying day.” (sigh - - a handsome, tea drinking cowboy – he has “bewitched me body and soul”.)

Click to enlarge.
Although I was not expecting it, this story did have a few faith moments.  Lady Jemma exclaimed she was a Christian, Thane prays for their meals; even with his ranch hands, and they send up small prayers in crucial moments.
My only complaint with this book is how quickly it jumps from point of view without warning.  Most books I read have a little break with a symbol of some sort (¦) to warn you that the point of view is changing to a new character.  This one doesn’t even have a space between the paragraphs when it switches.  Once I got used to that, I really enjoyed the story.  I giggled a lot and the Christmas ending even had me in happy tears.
This is my first time reading this author’s work and truly the title just caught my eye causing me to investigate farther & finally to order it. I even went and purchased crumpets to have with tea and jam, although the author thoughtfully provides a recipe for them in the back.

Shanna Hatfield is a USA Today Bestselling Author.  Read all about her at ShannaHatfieldDOTcom.
I purchased this book from Goodwill through Amazon dot com. My thoughts and opinions are entirely my own & without compensation.
 4 out 5 stars☆☆☆☆
Here is the china pattern. 
Since I was enjoying
Bumbleberry jam on
my crumpets, I indulged in
Blackberry Sage tea from
The Republic of  Tea
served with milk and honey.
Delicious!

Baker City Brides 5 Book Series – “Spunky women, handsome cowboys, and a town known as the
Denver of the Blue Mountains during its days of gold in the 1890s. Take a journey back in time with these sweet and clean historical romances.”
1.Crumpets and Cowpies 2.Thimbles and Thistles 3.Corsets and Cuffs 4.Bobbins and Boots 5.Lightning and Lawmen
I will have to look for these!

Until next time, hugs and a cup of tea with a crumpet or two!
Natl. Read a Book Day
was Sept. 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment