Saturday, September 1, 2018

IF YOU LIKE JANE AUSTEN


I really enjoyed this annotated version of Sense and Sensibility.  I have never before read an annotated book, so I thought I would share some highlights and you can decide for yourself if you might enjoy this book!
Forward by Author, Julie Klassen 
How the annotated columns work.

I had no idea
Reading
in the Garden
Interesting
Love that her prayers are shared!

and my sister's birthday :)  But, seriously, I never knew
when Michaelmas was, even though I have read it
many times in other period books.

I did not even understand this was a duel!  Thank goodness for commentary!
Haha!  I enjoyed this.
As a homeschooling teacher myself, I appreciated this annotation. 
Naturally, there is plenty of tea drinking in the book.  As a feast for the eyes, I decided to give the 2008 mini-series a go.  I found it free on Amazon Prime and immensely enjoyed it.  I never would have watched if it had not been for the comments in
the book!

I had already watched the Emma Thompson / Alan Rickman
version, so I did not expect to change my loyalties and was
not really interested.  However, I was very pleased with this
edition and enjoyed the differences as well and was
happy to relate to the book on a new level.

It definitely took me longer to read this book since it is written over a hundred years ago and there are multiple characters to keep straight, but reading through an entire Jane Austen novel has long been on my bucket list and I am so happy to have read this version and accomplished my goal!
I am grateful to Bethany House Publishing for coming up with it.  Just wonderful!

If you would like to purchase your own copy, here is the ISBN info.  I found mine quite some time ago at a Christian Bookstore that has long since closed.
ISBN 978-0-7642-0740-2










I hope you have a lovely Labor Day Weekend friends!
Until next time,
Hugs and a cup (or mason jar) of tea!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for this delightful and educational review! I've seen the movie (the one you mentioned) many times, and I've got the book but am not quite sure I've actually read it. I LOVE these annotated notes you shared. The bit about the duel was intriguing, and I certainly would not have ever picked up on this without the notes. Especially love that her prayers are included, as I've been reading a lot of old prayers and love picking up some good direction from the saints of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Angela. Thanks for dropping by. I hope you get a chance to read this one some day. Have a blessed week!! ~Heather

      Delete