I have been looking forward to sharing this family heirloom with you for a few weeks now. When I was first told by my Aunt Flora (or Flower as I like to call her) that she wanted me to have it, it brought tears to my eyes.
![]() |
| Helene with big bow on the right |
It had been given to her by her mother; my daddy’s mama who was my grandmother, Virginia Helene (she went by Helene). I knew her and loved her.
She passed on when I was just 10 years old.
![]() |
| Me (lower right) and my siblings just a few months before Grandma passed. It was her 73rd birthday party. |
I remember having trouble comprehending it when my dad told me. I have warm memories of staying with her, and cups of coins saved in her cupboard for whenever grandkids came to visit, so we could go to the store and buy a treat. She had a kind smile.
![]() |
| Spunky and Smiling! |
She was born in June 1907 in Iowa and one of 9 children. Her older sister, Bertha was born in 1886 and married in 1907.
Bertha had decided to send her littlest sister this sweet demitasse cup and saucer for her 7th birthday in 1914. The mark on the bottom is Bavaria #620. Presumably, it is older than 1914 since it would have made its way from Germany to Spokane, Washington where Bertha lived at the time. It was a treasure to be sure because receiving something new for her very own was unusual. And the fact that a much older sister thought of her made it even more special. Sadly, less than two months later, Bertha passed on. She was only 28.
My grandmother cared for this wee cup and saucer all of her childhood and into her adult life.
Later, her daughter Flora always admired it and eventually, her mama gifted it to her.
Now, in the older stages of my loving Aunt’s life, she has gifted it to me, knowing my love of all things tea. It is over 100 years old and gets me all choked up and mushy to think about. I have carefully photographed it to preserve and include on our family ancestry pages, but I hope it survives for many years to come and is passed down throughout the generations.
I plan to drink a wee cup of tea from it and toast my ancestors, saying a prayer of thanks for family.
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what [is] the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. [Ephesians 3:14-19 KJV]
Updated: 6/12/2020 - my grandmother's 113 birthday! Happy heavenly birthday Grandma.
![]() |
| 2018-05-07 Daddy holding our family heirloom. |
![]() |
| My sister Melanie, Grandma and me - approx. 1974 |












Heather, what a lovely thing to have! I'm glad it made its way to such a worthy recipient! I'm a lifelong tea drinker and treasure teaware heirlooms.
ReplyDeleteHello Jean. Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I am very lucky indeed. My love affair with tea began in the early 90s when my sister took me to my first tearoom in Pasadena, CA and it took off from there.
DeleteHave a wonderful weekend,
Heather