Friday, February 5, 2021

SET IN SCOTLAND - Beauty Among Ruins by J'Nell Ciesielski

 


Riveting (despite lack of faith)

Because this book is published by Thomas Nelson, I trusted it would be a faith-based novel.  It was not.  However, it is a clean story and a very good read set in Scotland regarding soldiers who are recovering from the Great War in a run-down castle with a stuffy Laird and a bevy of nurses.  Plus mysterious things keep happening endangering everyone. 

Favorite Quotes:

"Had the disease spread into the castle to rampage through Alec's study and ladle harm into innocent teacups?"

"In the back corner, Captain Gibbons and his new neighbor, none other than Lieutenant Wallace, debated the merits of bacon versus streaky bacon. There would be no winner in this debate as all bacon was delicious."

"You did claim to be capable, yes?" "Yes." He continued walking. "Good. If nothing else, I expect my daughter to be a woman of her word." Dumbfounded, Lily stared after him. It was the longest conversation she'd ever had with her father.  And what a doozy!

The author truly weaves a wonderful tale, and I would recommend it to those who enjoy an entertaining escape into history, with a bit of romance, danger, and clever wording. 

4 Stars = Very Good

I was gifted a book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinions, which are all my own without compensation or further expectation. 

Until Next Time,

Hugs & A Cup of Tea ~







No comments:

Post a Comment