Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Off to Ireland I Go! A Dance in Donegal by Jennifer Deibel


What a lovely, faith-filled read set in the 1920s.  

 
{Instrumental Irish music for you to enjoy}

This is sort of a coming-of-age tale of a young woman, Moira Doherty, who returns to her ancestral roots after her mother's passing in Boston. She is a new teacher and has a lot to learn about the local customs in the small village of Ballymann. I was drawn to the vivid descriptions: "The amber light from the setting sun set her silvery gray hair alight." Scripture was never far away throughout the chapters: "A sense of confirmation took root with her. I will never leave you. I will never forsake you." And, Oh! The tea moments ["cupan tae"] are many: "Mrs. Martin returned carrying two teacups, a kettle, sugar, milk, a few biscuits, some piping hot brown bread, and a dish of butter, all precariously yet perfectly balanced on a decorative tray. "Have a seat, darlin'. Would ya like a little cuppa?" the spry old woman asked, setting it all down on the table. "Yes, please. Moira sighed. The idea of tea brought relief to Moira's tired bones. "Mother made sure I knew the value of a good cuppa." Mrs. Martin chuckled. "She always did enjoy her tea, so she did." Her shoulders quaked with quiet laughter."

The character of Sean McFadden was charming and honorable, as were some others, but many others were not. There is a good balance of both, but one scene may give pause to anyone who has ever experienced sexual abuse; not overly detailed, but you understand the intent. 

Fun Quote: "You'll never plow a field by turnin' it over in yer mind,"

Connect with the author HERE

Glossary of Terms found in the back:  I recommend reading those first.

For a first time author, I would say Jennifer Diebel knocked it out of the park!  I am happy to recommend A Dance in Donegal with thanks to the publisher for a gifted copy. All opinions are mine alone without expectation or compensation.

Revell Publishing / 5 Stars = Excellent


Until next time, hugs & a cuppa'




No comments:

Post a Comment