Thursday, January 9, 2020

MY BIRTHDAY

I recently ventured to No. Calif to celebrate my 50th.  I can not believe I am 50, but alas I am.  It seems surreal.  My sister tells me to embrace it, find the joy, yada-yada.  Ok, I get that. I do. But, still.  There are things I had wanted to accomplish by now.  You know? I imagine you feel what I'm saying (smile).  On the other hand, there are positives - like my daycare Littles spiritual growth and carefully cultivated relationships with their families (yesterday I figured out I have had 66 Littles pass through my daycare since 2002!). Seeing my daughter travel as a missionary.  Ministering to friends who call on me for prayer.  Feeling comfortable enough not to wear makeup on most days. Having a core group of friends who have managed to stick around for a good many years now! Even made a few new ones in recent years which is lovely. Reading 63 books last year was pretty cool too.

As always, click on any photo to enlarge it & see it better. :)
Main St., Placerville, CA
My vacation was really nice.  I choose Placerville, CA (1 hr east of Sacramento) because as a little girl my daddy would take us to Apple Hill where various farmers have orchards.  I researched a little and found Placerville to have that small-town Hallmark like feel I would enjoy.  I don't venture out, as I rarely have time.  But, my daughter thought 50 was too big a deal to let slip by without some fanfare. The town did not disappoint.  Main street had several interesting shops and there were many historical plaques on the buildings. 
During the gold rush it used to be known as Hangtown where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes.  
It is also home to the oldest continuously operating hardware store west of the Mississippi. People were super friendly and food was delightful. 
Curry chicken and wild rice soup at
Heyday Cafe
Click here for website
The town was decked out for Christmas including a giant tree at the end of Main Street, just like you'd expect in any good Hallmark movie!  We went to a goat farm and bought goat's milk soaps and lotions, sampled goat's milk cheese, pet the goats & Odie the donkey.
Link to their FB page
They accept Venmo &
they ship products.

Sweet teenaged goats!

Odie

view from my AirBnB bedroom
We drank tea every day either in our AirBnb (my first experience) or while out exploring.  
I tried a lavender-tulsi for the first time, which was a bit strong for my liking.  I discovered tulsi is a close relative of basil. 

One of my favorite things was driving over a bridge each day that if you didn't pay attention, you would miss the wonder and beauty next to it.  I asked my daughter to pull over and we found a dilapidated sitting shed, a wonderful babbling stream with a waterfall at the far end, gorgeous moss-covered trees, and the side street's name is appropriately Steambed Ln.  I smiled every time we drove over it!


Apple Hill (Placerville, CA)
We made it to Apple Hill on a crisp, beautiful day, winding along country roads and seeing snow-capped mountains in the distance.  We bought Dutch caramel apple pie and fresh cider which we shared in front of an outdoor fire.  That was heaven. 
We visited the historic town of Coloma along the American River, where the gold rush began!  
Historic Coloma, CA 

We skipped rocks in that river (mostly failing, but having fun anyhow). 

Skipping stones at the
American River


Post Office in Coloma, CA
I mailed postal cards from the teeny post office in Coloma as well as in Placerville. 
Happy Mail!

Coloma's oldest continuous
business, Post Ofc.,  est. 1849
My daughter bought me this sweet ring, as I had long been wanting a bee ring!
There were wild deer and Canadian geese and many types of birds on our trip.
Wild deer in Coloma, CA 
Canadian geese over Coloma, CA
For N.Y. Eve, my daughter's new boyfriend was able to join us.  We laughed all night!  It was great fun and I am so happy she found a Godly man who makes her laugh, feel comfortable and want to continue growing both as a person and in her walk with Christ.
"Love is like infinity: You can't
have more or less infinity and you
can't compare two things to see
if they're 'equally infinite.'
Infinity just is, and that's
the way I think love is, too."
-Fred Rogers

Spending time with my daughter in God's country was the absolute best! 
Me dining & laughing w/my daughter
in Heyday Cafe, Placerville, CA


"There's no point in being
unhappy about growing older.
Just think of the millions who have
been denied the privilege."
-Cary Grant

Ok Cary, I will try to embrace this!
 
On 1/18/1984 Cary Grant was
80 years old. He grew a beard
for the occasion. An idea he got after
seeing Prince Rainer with one.
When his friends objected,
he shaved it off. -Nancy Nelson,
Evenings with Cary Grant
Until next time, hugs and a cup of tea!

7 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! I turned 59 on New Year's Eve and I still can't believe it. I'm glad you had a great birthday trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday holiday. Enjoy your 51st year, it only comes around once :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy Fiftieth! So glad your daughter talked you into celebrating appropriately. Just think of all the wisdom you get to take with you for the next fifty. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Have a blessed New Year and Happy Nat. Hot Tea Day today 1/11/2020 :)
      Heather

      Delete
  4. Happy (belated) birthday!!!! May you have many happy more! Seems as though you enjoyed your special get-away!

    I had a very big one last October - spent it on a cruise with my younger sister in Belize. Sometimes one just needs to make it a good one, huh???? : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I did. Thanks. Happy belated to you. I've never done a cruise. Glad you got to have a special trip. BTW, this last week I had the privledge of caring for the most adorable little baby whose last name just happened to be Finch! :)
      Hope you are well!
      Heather

      Delete