About a week ago I was approached by longtime blogging friend/fellow tea enthusiast, Angela McRae, to see if I would be interested in reviewing her first novel. Well, what an honor to be asked! I wasn’t sure I could commit before release day, but she assured me anytime was fine. However, after checking my schedule for another book due to release, I still had plenty of time for that one! So, I am happy to say I enjoyed reading it in time for its upcoming release.
It occurred to me to review the back section of the book first because sometimes you find great tidbits there before starting a book which I did! There are two recipes related to the story, as well as a warm greeting from Angela reminding her readers to cozy up with a cup of tea. I set my book (phone) aside and went to grab a pot of Titanic Tea by Harney and Sons ((smile)).
•°o•:*:•. Clean, Cozy Murder Mystery
in Small-Town, GA .•:*:• o°•
Modern story, told in first person, past tense.
After leaving the newspaper business a couple of years ago, Emma Madison and her Siamese kitty, Miriam Haskell, enjoy a quiet, small-town lifestyle, designing jewelry and hunting for more unique pieces in local shops and yard sales.
On a particular spring day, she scored a great find and headed for her friend Carleen’s shop to double check the maker. However, her plans are quickly dismissed when the shop is crawling with police. After discovering the body of a friend, Emma vows to utilize her reporter skills and dig up any help she can to find the killer! But, that decision lands her in all kinds of hot water over the next couple of weeks.
As with any small town, there are many characters, and gossip abounds! Detective Alan Shelton is a thorn in Emma’s side, but I quite liked him. He is diligent and concerned. I enjoyed the introduction of fellow artist Justin Hayes and found him to be a particular sweetheart, but naturally, in a murder mystery you can never be sure, so I kept my guard up regarding him.
There are lots of artists and art details throughout, including specific jewelry makers I found fun to look up such as a Tank-Style watch by Cartier, first issued in 1917 and Trifari and Hollycraft Christmas tree pins. When googling Bakelite era teapot pins, the only one I found took me to, of all places, Angela’s website and a June 29, 2010 post she shared on her “Tea With Friends” blog. How fun is that? You should see ALL the pins in her collection. Stunning!

Spiritual Moment (not too many, but Emma does attend church on Sundays): “The pastor’s hopeful message about the coming of Easter was exactly what I needed to hear.” I liked that I was reading the story just before Easter in real life (smile).
Tea Moment(s) (Emma seems to favor more coffee than tea, but there were some): Ch. 18 features a lovely description of a 3-tiered tea platter with salmon pinwheels, cucumber sandwiches, egg-olive salad, cranberry scones with clotted cream and jam, etc. all served in a friend’s home which I personally appreciated as I find home tea parties to be the best tea parties! There is also a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Mama’s place featuring sweet tea, fried chicken and heavenly treats, such as fried peach pie which I had never heard of, but a quick google search shows it’s like an empanada and I am certain I would love to visit and try it all!
Funny Moment(s): “The cowbell on the door made its customary clanging sound as I entered, and I got a nice whiff of Eau De Musty Antique Mall as I stepped inside.”
I DID NOT figure out who the killer was, which was refreshing. If you enjoy clean murder mysteries set in a small town, I recommend this one as your next treasure!
© April 16, 2019, Red Adept Publ. - 4 stars
I was sent an eVersion of this book by the author in the hopes of a favorable review with no fee and no compensation. My opinion is entirely my own.
![]() |
| Author: Angela McRae |
Connect with the author at Angela McRae dot com or her blog TeaWithFriends dot blogspot dot com.
“Angela McRae began her writing career as a newspaper reporter, initially covering the police beat and then moving on to features. In a small local bookstore, Angela came across Laura Childs’s Death by Darjeeling, a tea shop mystery set in Charleston, SC. As a longtime tea lover, she had to try it, and she’s been hooked on cozy mysteries ever since.
Angela currently lives with her husband in Georgia. When she’s not writing, she enjoys traveling, cooking, going to afternoon tea with family and friends, and “junkin’” at flea markets and antique malls, where she often finds inspiring artifacts that wind up in her stories. She also writes a monthly cooking column for a local publication, the Coweta Shopper, and enjoys connecting with readers who love to cook.”
Good luck!
![]() |
| Click to Purchase Here |
Until next time,
Would you mind lifting up a prayer for Angela and the success of her first novel? Thanks ever so much!












No comments:
Post a Comment