•°o•:*:•. VERY HAPPY .•:*:• o°•
After not enjoying the last book in
the series, I was so very pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy book
no.9 in the “Daughters of the Mayflower”: series. Once I found out it centered around the Pony
Express, I decided to accept the invitation to read it.
Some fun facts from the book: Now
called the Pony Express, it was the Central Overland California and Pikes Peak
Express Company (COC&PP). It operated from 04/03/1860 until 10/24/1861 when
the telegraph took over. It went from
St. Joseph, MO to Sacramento, CA in 10 days.
The story involves one mystery
surrounding forged treasury notes and another involving a missing heiress. There
are quite a bit of godly men sharing their faith, and our heroine seeking God
as well that I enjoyed.
**Kansas City, MO**
Elijah Johnson is entrusted by his
friend and business partner, Charles Vines, to find his long lost daughter
before he departs from this world. But,
she’s been gone for 26 years! It will
take a lot of fortitude and brains to ferret out any clues that old; plus some
guidance from the good Lord.
**Utah Territory, forty miles from Virginia City**
Meanwhile, in Carson Sink, Jacqueline
Rivers has taken over her father’s station following his recent passing. She is manager, hostess, cook, boss, big
sister and surrogate mom to “her boys” who ride for and deliver the mail for
the COC&PP.
“Every
time she watched a rider head out, she prayed until he was out of sight. The number of riders and horses it took to
cross the two-thousand-mile trail was extravagant. But to get the news in a week rather than a
month or more was huge. It never ceased
to amaze her, so every day she found herself praying for these young men who sacrificed
so much.”
“Jack” is coming to grips with her
loss and new duties when two men show up on the stagecoach seeking her help
with two entirely different problems.
Michael, her adopted brother, was a
fun character. I appreciated his youth
and humor.
Tea References:
“As she looked down at her cup of
tea, the image of her mother, so dreamlike and beautiful, still hovered at the
edges of her mind. If only she could keep it there and remember more.”
“But being the doting father he
was, he usually gave in and ordered her something pretty. She’d never forget the first time she asked
him to buy a china tea set. His face had been almost comical.”
Cautionary Note: This book does contain some violence, including wife beating (not in grave detail) and also
cold-blooded killing/shooting.
Extra tidbits about the P.E. are
listed after the story, including the fact that it was a “huge financial flop”! I also like the Express riders oath shared within
the story.
I loved the final sentence which
made me laugh out loud.
I was approached by Barbour
Publishing and asked to review an eVersion of this book without fee,
expectation or compensation. My opinion is
my own and offered freely. Please read
other reviews for a well-rounded purchasing decision.


No comments:
Post a Comment