Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Bride of Ivy Green by Julie Klassen



*** VILLAGE LIFE REMINISCENT OF LARK RISE TO CANDLEFORD***

If you have ever watched the BBC series Lark Rise to Candleford, these books very much remind me of that TV show, with its many different characters, points of view, and various village locations.

Ivy Hill, Wiltshire, England, Feb 1821.

The third installment of Tales from Ivy Cottage finds spinster Mercy Grove and her Aunt Matilda preparing for the arrival of her brother George and his new wife to return from their wedding trip and move into their home, effectively taking over the cottage.  She has already closed her school and her future seems uncertain.  Her new sister-in-law seems bothered at moving into an already occupied home and her disposition is rather cool toward the lower class villagers.
There are returning characters from the past two books; Jane Fairmont again taking a lead role in the story.  There are new characters whose past is a secretive mystery, but nothing of danger or intrigue.
As in the previous two novels, there is quite a lot to keep up with as this book has over 50 chapters.
If you enjoy quaint village life along with a nod to the hierarchy of the social classes, I would recommend reading all three of the books back to back.  Otherwise, it is a bit hard to recall the many storylines. The author provides many interesting tidbits found on Tales From Ivy Hill including a character directory (although book 3 is not as well represented on that list), a map of the village, some of her travels to Wiltshire, etc.

Favorite Quote: Mercy reminded herself that God did not promise ease and happiness in this life. But He did promise peace and joy, and she was determined to hold on to both, somehow.

Tea Quote: “I have a family obligation tonight, but I might wander back here tomorrow evening f you think you might be having a late-night cup of tea?”  She grinned. “Yes, I think there is every chance I shall be thirsty by then.”

Bethany House Publishing
Discussion questions at the end of each book

Tales from Ivy Hill Series:
The Bride of Ivy Green – Book 3, Dec 2018


I received an ARC of this books in exchange for my honest opinion with no further compensation. 4 Stars

Until next time,
Hugs and a cup of tea!


2 comments:

  1. Hello, lovely friend! My oh my, it's been WAY TOOOOO LONG since I popped in for a visit. How have you been? I trust all is well in your world. You have been on my heart and in my thoughts a lot lately....

    Thank you for your wonderful and honest review. I have always enjoyed Julie Klassen and this series is on my "Wishlist" right now.

    Take care, dear one, and have a delightful evening. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to read reviews and read other's opinions of various books.

    ReplyDelete