Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Singular & Whimsical Problem - Book Review

A Singular and Whimsical Problem - eBook  -     By: Rachel McMillan
A Singular & Whimsical Problem – A Herringford and Watts Mystery
Rachel McMillan

•°• WONDERFUL •°•
November 1910, Toronto, Canada
Told in first person by Jemima (aka Jem), and primarily about her and Mirinda’s (her roommate) detective adventures.  There are 3 cases: a missing cat with 1 ear, a missing suffragette, and a sister who suspects something is amiss with her younger sister, who suddenly also goes missing!
Assisting the girls: Constable Jasper and journalist, Ray DeLuca, plus Kat and Mouse (two poor children from the tenements who help on cases, getting into places our detectives can not).

I absolutely loved this book.  I had read a review on another blog, and could not wait to get my hands on one of the books.  While ordering I spotted this eNovella for only $2.51 (sadly, no paperback available), and gave it a shot.  I read it in an afternoon.  The book is full of danger, mystery, humor and a teeny hint at romance.  Plus there are plenty of scenes that include tea drinking… my favorite! The mystery was light enough; in other words, not gruesome, so I was not uncomfortable.

Amusing Quote by Jasper – Ch. 4 - “A nice place for respectable young women to lunch.  And by respectable young women I am not talking about you Mirinda.” Merinda harrumphed.
Faith Quote from Jem  End of book – I took a deep breath and closed my eyes and whispered a prayer – more effective than a wish … – I loved this, because that is so me.  I always say a prayer when blowing out a birthday candle!
Tea Moments:
FIRST - there is a tea kettle hiding on this fabulous cover!
Dedication Page – Go to battle, yes, but with a well-steeped kettle of tea and a batch of irresistible muffins.  You will slay him where he stands and he will be rendered powerless. ~From Dorothea Fairfax’s Compendium to Bachelor Girlhood.
Ch. 1 - I blushed, hurrying to the kitchen to make tea while Merinda greeted our client and showed her into the sitting room.
Ch. 1 - The well-dressed lady settled on our doily-ornamented settee, gingerly sipping the hot black tea I supplied her.
Ch. 1 - “Tea, Jemima?” He lifted a hand to the waitress, who acknowledged him with a nod.  She returned in a moment with a pot and was rewarded with a smile.
Ch. 1 - Merinda appeared with the tea service – she’d forgotten the biscuits- and poured three cups.
Ch. 4 - He shrugged. “Why don’t we go in for a bite of lunch? I’m freezing and I could use a hot cup of tea.”  Settled, Jasper used an empty chair to position his discarded police hat and ran his fingers through his thick hair.  I ordered cream teas for all of us with a plate of extra sandwiches for Jasper.  While we sipped, Merinda’s cat eyes patrolled the tearoom.
About the Author – “Rachel can most often be found drinking tea and watching British miniseries.” YEEEES! ;)
New to Me word of the day – Ch. 5 Indefatigable = persisting tirelessly

I purchased and downloaded this eNovella from Amazon.  Overall, I would recommend this book to a friend.
5 stars
© 2015 Harvest House Pub.
7 chapters + epilogue
Read: 5/31/2016
Reviewed: 6/1/2016

Blessings and a glass of iced tea... since today begins national iced tea month!



No comments:

Post a Comment