Saturday, September 12, 2015

Snail Mail


Hello dear friends and fellow lovers of snail mail.  Here is some useful information I found and thought I would share.  Also, if you CLICK HERE you can see my Pinterest Board for Mail Art, & get a ton of fun decorating ideas for your packages & envelopes.

{Please keep in mind: If your mail has a delivery address parallel to the SHORTER side of the envelope {as featured in some of the art}, it will require a sur-charge.}



Back to the Viewable page


Sizes for Letters

You probably have a picture in your mind of what a "letter" is. Possibly you’re using a standard No. 10 envelope for your letter, so that’s easy to picture. However, if you decide to create a mail piece with its own special envelope or if you are designing a piece that will be folded to letter-size, be sure to keep in mind the following size requirements for letters:






Dimension
Minimum
Maximum
Height
3-1/2 inches
6-1/8 inches
Length
5 inches
11-1/2 inches
Thickness
0.007 inch
1/4 inch
To be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be:
  • Rectangular
  • At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick.
  • No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick.
First-Class Mail letters that have one or more nonmachinable characteristics[1] will pay a non*machinable surcharge. Customers can be unpleasantly surprised that they must pay extra postage when, for example, they mail a square greeting card. The Postal Service charges extra postage because mail pieces that are rigid, square, or unusually shaped, often jam postal equipment and are difficult to process. This costs the Postal Service time and money—and may also damage your mail piece.
Many mailers fold sheets of paper to form letter-size pieces or newsletters. Folded pieces, or folded self-mailers, can save time and money because you’re not paying for or stuffing envelopes. Folded self-mailers must be sealed or they will be subject to the non-machinable surcharge. We recommend that you use wafer seals or tabs[2] to close the open sides of folded mail pieces.
Here’s some good advice on tabbing: Put the fold on the bottom (the side below the address) and secure the opening at the top with a piece of tape, a tab or a wafer seal.
More about Folding and Tabbing a Mailpiece[3]
There are special size requirements for mailing letters at automation prices. Contact your business mail entry unit[4] for more information.
TIPS
-0.007 inches? How do I measure that? As a guide, an index card is thick enough. If in doubt, contact a mail piece design analyst (MDA[5]) near you. MDAs have tools for precisely measuring thickness and can tell you if your mailpiece is thick enough.
-What is high? What is long? Length is the side parallel to the address. Height is the side that is perpendicular to the length.

Sizes for postcards[6]
Sizes for flats[7]
Sizes for parcels[8]

REMINDER: U.S. Postal boxes (available free), MUST state the words FLAT RATE in order to get that FLAT RATE fee... not all the boxes have this and I learned that the hard way. ~Heather

CLICK HERE FOR U.S. POSTAL LINK



mail sprinkles for valentines day:
this site tells you random things that the post office will let you mail. so fun to do with kids for their cousins far away :) - mb:
This Pinterest pinner mails unusual items that are 13 oz. or less.  See USPS explanation below.

First-Class Package Service (201.8.3)

Section divider line

HAPPY MAILING!!!
send more letters - I'm going "old school".  I remember the days my mother used to send me letters when I went away to college, when I had a pen pal from Germany, etc.  We rely so much on computers.  Write letters to men/women in the military full of encouraging and hope scriptures, letters to my niece, write to those in the hospital who are sick, to friends I haven't seen in a long while...:
~Hugs from Heather~

7 comments:

  1. Very good information! These are things I've wondered about but never taken the time to look up, so thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angela. I also found that since Flat Rate does not require weighing in... I can print the labels from home and save $ by purchasing online. For a Med. Flat Rate box, I saved $1.35 :) AND I was able to request email tracking to BOTH the recipient and myself in one easy step :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you so much for posting this!! I think snail mail is becoming a dieing art! I love receiving letters in the mail!!
    God bless
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe....I love the flip flop! Of course I love snail mail and this post is simply fabulous! Speaking of snail mail, my little one got his letter yesterday and he absolutely loved opening it! Just a few minutes ago him and dad were working on the Origami. You are precoius and SO THOUGHTFUL, my friend. Thank you! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, Heather! Very informative and creative! Love the Flip-Flop! Have a great weekend, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flip flop idea will be sent to my sister; she lives in the blessed things! The grief fog caused (causes) me to lose sight of those I'd rather remember...so you've been added to my side bar Cozy Reads. It's good to connect again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pray you are doing better, and that your sister got a kick out of the flip-flop mail :-)

      Delete