Friday, June 26, 2015

IRISH MEADOWS - BOOK REVIEW

#1: Irish Meadows  -     By: Susan Anne Mason
Click here to pre-order at a discount!


IRISH MEADOWS
by: Susan Anne Mason

BOOK REVIEW

Courage to Dream Series Book#1

EDGY & SECRETIVE
is how I would describe this historical Christian romance.
This book was extremely detailed with several characters. 

I describe this book as edgy because it goes further than I am used to seeing other Christian authors go with danger and steamy scenes, but does not cross any lines.  I was quite happy with the results.  I definitely don’t consider this a “light” read.  It took me the better part of a week, for all of the details, and I do recommend it.  The story is told from various characters perspective, which I also enjoyed.

There are two strong story lines developing in 1911 Long Island NY, which I really liked.
One focuses on Brianna O’Leary and Gilbert Whelan who grew up together under the same roof after the O’Learys took in Gilbert following the death of his mother.  They were always the best of friends, but along the way Brianna developed a crush on Gilbert.  After returning from college to the country home and horse farm of the O’Learys, Gilbert hopes Brianna’s crush has diminished with time, and he can repay the kindness of the O’Learys until he saves up enough to realize his secret dream of buying his own horse farm.  Brianna, however has secret dreams of her own; going off to college and furthering her education.  In 1911, most women are expected to learn proper housewife duties and be perfectly happy with that.  In particular, her father requires it and has every intention of marrying his daughters off to wealthy young men.
Click here to go to the author's website
Colleen O’Leary is Brianna’s older sister, and a flirtatious brat who dreams only of marrying the wealthiest man she can find and living in the lap of luxury with servants to do her bidding for the rest of her life.  She harbors a deep, painful secret that has caused her tainted view of the world.
Rylan Montgomery is a distant cousin to the family, and arrives from Ireland to further his goal of becoming a priest.  Rylan is my absolute favorite.  He is kind, and outspoken, patient and understanding.  He gives Colleen a run for her money and sees beyond the shallow exterior that most men see.  He is also quite funny.  Pg#52 “You didn’t say how Colleen found you at the station this afternoon. I trust everything went smoothly.” “Smooth as mud, Mrs. O’Leary.” (in context, that had me laughing out loud!).
5 STARS

I am looking forward to Book #2, A Worthy Heart, available in 2016 
Gorgeous cover of book 2 from author's website (click here)

I received an advance copy of the book as part of the Influencer Team for this author. My opinion is my own, and given freely.
Read: 06/19/15-6/24/15, Reviewed: 06/26/15
SERIES: Courage to Dream
Irish Meadows - Book#1 – 06/30/2015
A Worthy Heart – Book #2 – 2016
no info at this time – Book #3 – 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely review, Heather! I must admit that Rylan stole my heart as well!!
    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete