Monday, June 15, 2015

In Good Company - Book Review - Christian Fiction

BOOK REVIEW
In Good Company
by: Jen Turano

•°o•:*:•.ANOTHER DELIGHT.•:*:• o°•

I received my influencer copy of this book in Saturday’s mail and was not able to open it up until today, Monday morning.  This time I planned ahead and started early in the day, knowing I have a bad habit of losing sleep over Jen Turano’s amazing stories!  I FINISHED the book this evening around 5:30 and definitely loved reading it cover to cover in a day.  I just can't get enough of her books!!

Long Island, New York, 1882 and Miss Millie Longfellow has just gotten sacked from another nanny position. However, you soon come to understand her very unusual style of child rearing may not be the social norm, but is exactly conducive to developing lasting bonds and trust between her and her wards.  On her way to the agency to remedy her employment needs, she runs into, or rather Mr. Everett Mulberry runs into her.  His own wards have just run off yet another nanny of their own.  There is an obvious solution to both of their problems, but Mr. Mulberry is familiar with Millie’s past and has no inclination to allow her anywhere near the three children who have been left to him.  He already has his hands full trying to court the high society Miss Dixon, and does not need further aggravation in his life.

Millie is a truly likable character.  She has a genuine love of children, and a strong desire to better herself through the ever growing use of vocabulary words and reading quality literature (including a favorite of mine, Jane Austen).
Everett is equally likable albeit a bit naive, believing he and his friends are in no way snobs, and those type of actions are perfectly normal, not snobbish in the least.
As usual, the author has all ranges of characters from sweet, elderly busy-body society types, who have nothing better to do than shower the younger set with wisdom and a bit of plotting, to very young children and animals who wreak havoc and add tenderness to the story. Reverend Gilmore has also returned to add a bit of his own kindness and warmth to the story, as has star of the stage Lucetta Plum, best friend and roommate of Millie. Equally woven throughout the book is an ever-present, and much appreciated faith in God.
I definitely enjoyed this story filled with humor and touching moments, and watching the characters grow and work together.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who enjoys: Christian historical fiction, with strong female leads.

Looking forward to Book #3 Playing the Part, due out February 2016

Be sure to look up Jen on FB as I have always found her to be very approachable, and DO read her other books as well!  I have read them ALL and each one as received a 5-star review from me!

It is my great privilege to be  included in Jen Turano’s Influencer List and I received this copy for no compensation.  My opinion is my own.
Read: 06/15/15, Reviewed: 06/15/15

SERIES: A Class of Their Own
After a Fashion - Book#1 – 2015
In Good Company – Book #2 – 2015
Playing the Part – Book #3 – 2016

After a Fashion


Until next time friends; 
Hugs and a cup of tea,
Heather Elizabeth


2 comments:

  1. Jen is one of my favorites! Hopped over from Stephanie's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather, what a fantastic review! As you know, I have not read any of Jen's books {hopefully the one you sent me will be SOON} and now after reading your words I feel like I have been missing out! I am headed over to CBD to check out all of her books and add them to my cart :)

    Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete