Sunday, July 23, 2017

Adventure is Out There

Dear friends, loved ones and acquaintances,

Friday I went adventuring! That may not be a word, but who cares; I’m having fun! A few years ago, my daughter worked a summer at a Christian camp in Forest Falls, CA.  I have fond memories of visiting her there.  I decided to drive up for my day off.  The part I intended to visit has changed quite a bit, with new construction happening in the exact spot I had pictured myself in! EEEEEEEK!

But, I drove a bit further and took a chance.  As I approached a bridge, I could see a lovely little river flowing. 

I promptly ignored the ‘no trespassing’ suggestions, because let’s face it; a chubby white middle-aged girl is really no threat to anyone.  Guess I’m just a rebel like that.

I grabbed my backpack and hiked down, and by hike I mean 3 minutes at a somewhat steep incline, but not really too steep or I wouldn’t do it! Ha ha.

I was SO VERY HAPPY! The water was so lovely cascading over the rocks like sparkly diamonds, but so much better because this was out in nature and not a bazillion dollars under fluorescent lights!  I’d guess it was only about a foot deep or so in the center.  

I poured a cup of tea, because what good teatotaler doesn’t take fine china to the river?  
As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way!
O sisters, let's go down,
Let's go down, come on down
O sisters, let's go down
Down in the river to pray

“We’re all mad here” anyhow. Right? 


I peeled off my socks & shoes, and plunged my purple painted toes into the icy water!  It was GLORIOUS!
There was one lone but lovely yellow flower growing out of the sandy dirt nearby.  A small black bird fluttered and landed on a rock in the sun.  
I took several pictures with my phone, and then decided to turn on my GPS just in case a bear showed up and ate me… and hopefully not my phone.

I was able to pull out my Bible and read Psalm 150.  So lovely to be in His presence there.
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
I also brought along ‘Love Does’. A wonderful collection of memories shared by Bob Goff.  He writes with such wit and charm.  The story I randomly choose just happened to be about him wanting to be a Forest Ranger as a young man.  How appropriate, I thought. But, when he found out he didn’t actually get to live in the forest, and do awesome foresty things, but rather write tickets to naughty people trespassing in the forest -ahem, and there weren’t any girls to be found; he decided perhaps a career choice change was in order.  The chapter is titled The Rearview Mirror if you’re interested. 


I brought along fresh, dark red cherries and listened to the water roll over the rocks.   

After about an hour, & still thinking about a bear, I wiped the sand off my feet, dusted them with the teeny baby powder I had brought along and thankfully remembered to pack having seen it on FaceBook for ‘what to bring to the beach’, and was on my way. 

But, I had driven an hour to get here, so what now?
I headed about 20 minutes into Apple Country! Yay!! Oak Glen is a wonderful gem nestled inside some sweet hills of Southern California.  It has its own weather that is perfect for growing apples.  

Just as I was about to turn on the road that leads up there, I spotted a family of deer in an apple orchard.  There were babies, mama and papa.  At one point, mama stood on her hind legs to reach the apples.  They were so much fun to see.
Once I got into Oak Glen I went into The Apple Tree gift shop where I found a charming card to send to my Aunt Dixie and share all about my adventure.
Inside: I meant to do my work today, but a brown bird sang in the apple tree, and a butterfly flitted across the field, and all the leaves were calling me.
I had lunch (a rather blegh burger, but whatever) at a coffee shop and proceeded to write my letter.  I pulled out my phone and appropriately played Glen Miller’s “Don’t sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me”.

After that, I drove up the road to a favorite apple orchard to purchase fresh pressed cider.  

Ooooh, it’s like biting into the freshest, juiciest apple. If you have the chance to go to an apple orchard; GO!  

A gentleman there asked if he could purchase a label to frame.  It was so lovely, I decided to get one too.  

At another orchard, I stopped for some baked goodies to bring back.  Check out this wee biscuit ;)
I'm pretty sure who ever said, "Tea Without a Biscuit is an Opportunity Wasted", didn't exactly mean this! Hee-hee.

The tea is a fun Sherlock blend from Adagio Teas.  It features hazelnut honeybush, rooibos vanilla, decaf apricot black tea, and apricot pieces. It is quite tasty!  The teeny tin is from their fandom blends. Super adorable.

It was a really fun adventure, and I hope you enjoyed sharing it with me.

Until next time, Hugs and a cup of tea!

6 comments:

  1. I'm feeling refreshed after our adventure. Fun where you find it makes for a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania! Great of you to stop by! So glad you enjoyed my post. God bless you! ~Heather

      Delete
  2. Sounds enjoyable. Lovely you have the spirit and a beautiful spot tucked in so close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this blog post! What a lovely day you had! I love that you brought a teacup with you, and that you took the time to read some scripture while out enjoying nature. It's inspired me to try and do the same the next time I have a day to myself. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete