Friday, April 21, 2017

Behind the Scenes - Jen Turano Book Review




Behind the Scenes – Apart from the Crowd #1
Jen Turano

Hey, I staged this! :)


artist Carmen Medlin - pinterest picture
I hope each of you had an extremely blessed Resurrection celebration. Please grab a cuppa and join me for another exciting book review.




•°o•:*:•. Wallflowers Rejoice! .•:*:• o°•

Another excellently crafted story by master storyteller, Jen Turano!
March 1883 – New York
“Contrary to the prevalent thought of the day, I’m not a lady who feels as if my life has been ruined simply because I’ve obtained the somewhat undesirable label of wallflower.” –Ch.1
Permilia Griswold is sort of a gilded age Cinderella in the sense she puts up with the whims of her step-mother and step-sister. She is awkward in social situations and really could care less about gentlemen, balls, the season, etc.  She was raised by her father, traipsing all over the country for his mining business, until he decides she needs a woman’s touch in her life.  He finds and marries a woman of society, intent on changing everything about Permilia, while spoiling her own daughter. Permilia has a keen sense of fashion, business, and charity.  She loves the Lord, and seeks wise counsel when needed. She also has a few secrets. Her interpretation of the Go-As-You-Please Quadrille had me laughing out loud.
Asher Rutherford is a self-made, affluent businessman, with an excellent sense of style, and owns one of the most successful department stores in the city.  He leads a predictable life, and is quite content mingling in society, attending his clubs, and going about his business day with little interruption to his schedule.  However, each encounter he has with the unusual Miss Griswold leaves him perplexed and asking questions he’d never considered before.
“A second later, he found himself taken aback when Miss Griswold thrust a dainty hand his way, seemingly unconcerned yet again with the idea that ladies never, as in ever, initiated an act that would consist of them hauling a gentleman to his feet.” –Ch.3
I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear.
Pinterest Picture
Harrison Sinclair is Asher’s dear friend who is one of those men rather unaware of his handsome mystique.  I suspect he is color blind, with all of his odd combinations of clothing, and he seems to have a genuine concern for those around him. I found him extremely intriguing.  “He grinned. “I know most dangerous men are assumed to drink coffee, and black coffee at that, but” – he shuddered – I can’t abide the stuff.” Bonus points for Harrison, because I loathe coffee too! –smile.  He adds much to the story, and I can’t wait to learn more about him in future books.
Miss Gertrude Cadwalader (a mouthful of a name to be sure), is a recently acquainted friend of  Permilia, through their mutual resignation to the wallflower section.  She is great fun, as she takes matters in hand when needed, and looks like a laughing stock much of the time due to her employer’s odd ideas.  That employer being Mrs. Davenport, who is one adventurous older lady.  Oh, my!  Yet another character I want to get to know better!!  Jen Turano really has a way with supporting characters!
pinterest picture
Miss Henrietta and Miss Mabel are delightful, albeit persnickety sisters that add wonderful fun, mystery and more questions to the story.  They are also extremely interested in tea! Yay!! “That hobby, I’m sure you’ll be pleased to learn, given the interest we’ve learned you share with us, is searching out and collecting new blends of tea.” –Ch.13  Permilia picked up her cup. Raising it to her lips, she took the smallest of sips, blinking in surprise a second later. “Good heavens. That’s delicious.” –Ch.14  After reading that, I had to stop and go make another cup of tea!
Now, of course, there’s at least one villain.  And of course, I will not tell you who he/she/they might be. But, suffice it to say the mystery kept me guessing as it unraveled along the way. 
Jen Turano is my absolute favorite author. Her style is so unique, and the laugh-out-loud moments are divine! I have read every single one of her books including the free novella prequels.  She never disappoints.  
© April 2017 Bethany House
343 pages
In exchange for my honest opinion, I received a copy from Bethany House Publ. which I am privileged to provide with no other compensation. - I highly recommend this five-star book.
Read: 04/18&19/2017 Reviewed: 4/21/2017

SERIES: Apart from the Crowd
Click titles for purchase info.
Link to purchase
Untitled – Book 3 – late Spring 2018



Hugs and a cup of tea,

Reviews Posted to: Amazon.com / Amazon.CA, Amazon.Co.Uk  / Barnes And Noble / BooksAMillion / CBD / DeeperShopping  /GoodReads / Google Play /Indigo.CA / Kobo /  Scribd.com / My FB page / Author’s FB page / My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment