Monday, August 15, 2016

A Heart Most Certain Book Review

I received my Influencer copy of this book August 1st, and took it on a little outing to capture a lovely picture of it.
Click here to purchase
I even posed it in this little garden wall I found, 
to create a fun profile picture. 

Melissa Jagears has captured my heart with her newest book, A Heart Most Certain.  Her story is so rich with prayer and growth of faith, and held my interest throughout.  I cannot recommend it enough.
The story takes place in Teaville, Kansas, 1905. STOP! Seriously?  Well, be still my heart… what a perfect name for a town!  It takes a hard look at how the poorest parts of town survived by being a “red light district”, and the very difficult attempt some made to climb out of that life.  It also shows how the middle and upper class viewed those people as so much “less-than” believing they were at fault for their lifestyles, and did not deserve any grace or mercy.  However, that is not the case for every citizen.  Nicholas secretly gives charity and does good works to better their lives and make a difference.  Lydia King, although quite poor in her own right, also does her part, by being a part of the Teaville Moral Society and sewing quilts for the less fortunate.  When the group decides they need sewing machines to increase their production, she is tasked with requesting a donation from the town’s miser, Mr. Lowe.

Old Fashioned Quilting Bee: Pg. 11 The heavy front doors of the massive sandstone church slammed behind her, and she scurried down to an out-of-the-way room in the dank basement.  About a dozen women sat around the room’s large quilting frame.  Half of them were the matriarchs of the church, the other half their daughters or young women without children.



Pg. 15 Lydia took the comb back before Mama could turn her wavy locks into a massive cloud.

There is the occasional bit of witty sarcasm:
Pg. 68, “Don’t tell me you’re that rigid.” Henry tossed a glass paperweight between his hands. “Jesus drank wine.” Nicholas rolled his eyes. “Next time you’re over, bring a barrel of water with you, and pray for a miracle.”
Chapter 7 had me balling! Pg. 129 “Lord, help me stop these children from going where they cannot return. Surely you sent me and Lydia here this day for this reason.  Help me convince Pepper.”
a013abab674b3a04f60291284cb577a7
Pg. 185 Wool blankets would be cheaper and could help more people, yes, but I know how it feels to have ‘good enough’. But to receive something beautiful…”She ran a hand down her sleeve, catching the bit of satin ribbon at the end.
This quilt was actually made at the same time our story is set!
(internet photo)
Pg. 193 A shiny new Burdick sewing machine with an intricate wrought-iron treadle and gleaming black-and-gold body stood in the center of the room.


Sometimes, God says, “No.”  In Ch.33, we see Lydia say a prayer that she does not get recognized in the height of danger, but later we learn that indeed she was identified.  I appreciate the fact that not all prayers get a “Yes” answer in the story, because God’s was are not our ways.

This story was packed with detail and deceit.  But it was also rich with people desiring to better themselves for God's glory, and a beautiful love story stitched together over time and circumstances orchestrated by the hand of God.
Finishing up with a cup of tea and a sigh.
5 stars
© 8/2/2016 Bethany House, 388 pages
I received a copy from Bethany House Publ., in exchange for my honest opinion, with no other compensation, which I am privileged to provide.
Read: 08/11-13/2016 - Reviewed: 8/15/2016

SERIES: TEAVILLE MORAL SOCIETY

Book 1 is actually
a novella featured within
the collective book,
With This Ring by
various authors

Here is a fun picture we took to get 
young people interested! LOL!!!
contributing to the PokemonGo craze!
I do hope you will check out this book. 
Until next time,
Hugs and a cup of tea!



In addition to MY BLOG, Reviews posted at:
Alibris
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/review/R1MYFRBGBT729W/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv
Amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/review/R2EWLT5G4HVNQ7/ref=pe_1086170_134824320_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv
Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3BD0J5ART979N/ref=pe_1572281_66412651_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv
Books A Million
Barnes & Noble
CBD
GoodReads https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1729258088
Google Play https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Melissa_Jagears_A_Heart_Most_Certain_Teaville_Mora?id=eOwtCwAAQBAJ&hl=en#details-reviews
Indigo
Kobo
Scribd.com https://www.scribd.com/book-preview/316268458/review/15360143
My FB, My IG, Influencer’s FB page, My Pinterest
And requested my local library to carry

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the review. I have been looking for a good book and I think this is one to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome Michelle. CBD is having a sale right now. This book is 40% off...and if you spend $35, you can get FREE shipping with code OFF2SCHOOL (by 8/22/16).
      Take care my friend!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am reading this book right now and I absolutely LOVE it! Since I started reading it I have had a hard time putting it down. I am halfway through and so far I have enjoyed every moment of "A Heart Most Certain."

    Wishing you a joyous week, dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad you are enjoying it Stephanie. Wishing you a wonderful week as well :)

      Delete