Wednesday, April 20, 2016

From This Moment book review




•°o•:*:•. GRABS YOU BY THE THROAT! .•:*:• o°•

CLICK HERE TO ORDER THIS BOOK
Seriously, this book does not let go.  I often found myself quite worked up with all of the injustice the characters were dealing with, which tells me the author was doing her job and really pulling me into the story.

1897.  Stella West (aka Westergaard), has left the extravagant art world to come to Boston, undercover, in search of her sister’s killer.  The police have ruled the death an accident, but she has reason to believe otherwise.  As she follows the clues and her gut, she does more than just ruffle some feathers, and becomes the target of people seeking to silence her.

Romulus White, part owner of an esteemed scientific magazine, has been trying for years to lure her to Boston to come work for him, and finally push his advertisements to the next level.  When he receives a letter returned to him, listing her new forwarding address, IN BOSTON, he cannot believe his luck and immediately sets off to find her, landing himself smack dab in the middle of her investigation.  Romulus is a self-proclaimed bachelor, who enjoys frolicking about town with many beautiful women, and who will not entertain the idea of marriage until age 40.  An idea he came up with to fend off his many starry-eyed suitors, and keep the risk of getting hurt again at arm’s length. He has a keen fashion sense, far above most men in the city (I kept picturing Rupert Everett in the 1999 Rom-Com, An Ideal Husband).  Ch. 5 “Mr. Townsend looked stunned. “Did you run off and get married while no one was looking?” “Perish the thought,” Romulus said with a mild shudder. “If I ever get married, the entire city will know it, as my mother shall hire a choir of angels to sing from the mountaintops.”

TRIBUTE TO TEA (tea is my thing): Ch. 7 – One of the few tea moments in this book, and rather amusing… since even though he is quite vexed, Romulus still feels good manners are paramount. “I’m heading downstairs for a bite to eat,” he said. “Miss West is shamefully late.  If she arrives while I’m gone, please scold her for me, then offer her a pot of tea until I get back.”

This book is filled with strong characters and story line, great detail, art and subway history, danger and intrigue.  Romulus and Stella complement each other nicely and are able to help each other grow and shed some of their insecurities and flaws. Prayer and God are softly weaved into the story line as well.

I do recommend the book, and appreciate receiving an advance eCopy from Bethany House through NetGalley. My opinion is my own.

HHHHH (5 stars)
368 Pages
Bethany House Publ., scheduled for release June 7, 2016
Read: 4/18&19, 2016 


3 comments:

  1. Great review! I read Until the Dawn and have been looking forward to this one! I definitely got worked up while reading that one. Elizabeth does an excellent job of making the story feel real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Hopefully, I will squeeze in some time to start her free Novella this weekend :)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I was thinking the same thing!

      Delete