Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Worthy Heart Book Review

Come, Sit, Stay
There's Darjeeling in my cup today...
and wee chocolate donuts on my saucer
:-)

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

•°o•:*:•.BRILLIANT.•:*:• o°•

Another winning historical Christian romance from Susan Anne Mason! Continuing in her theme from book one, extremely detailed with several characters from not one, not two, but FOUR points of view; making it most excellent for a more experienced reader to have to slow down and digest each POV carefully. Plus, I like to try and hear accents (like Irish) in my head as I read them.
I appreciate that this story does not leave the characters from book one too far behind, with a large gap in time, particularly Rylan Montgomery.  He has married Colleen O’Leary and is now running an orphanage with her. 
His younger sister Maggie Montgomery and their brother Gabe have taken a ship from Ireland to come visit them in 1914 New York.  It turns out, the family feels Maggie needs some distance from her former fiancé, Neill Fitzgerald.  But Maggie has her own ideas about coming to America.  She is extremely gifted with music and plays the piano and organ.  She is also a woman of faith. P.114 “Thank You, Lord, for this marvelous gift. For the healing power of music.”
At the same time, Colleen’s older brother, Adam, has just gotten out of prison, and is headed home to attempt a fresh start at life.  Adam has tremendous burdens, and will have to work through them, but thankfully a kind-hearted preacher by the name of John spent a good deal of time ministering to the prisoners and has helped direct Adam’s path towards God.  Adam seeks John out at his church and throughout the story receives much kindness and wisdom from John. P.209 “You need time, my friend. Time to pray. Time to process this information and discern God’s will for your life. I’m a firm believer that nothing happens by chance.  There is a purpose in this that only time will reveal.  Surrender your anger and sorrow to the Lord, and let Him help heal your wounds.”
When Adam encounters Maggie, he finds her to be extremely strong with no problem speaking her mind, and her beauty doesn’t hurt either (see cover model).  However, he is a convicted felon, and it would not be proper to imagine himself with any woman, which would immediately bring shame to her character by mere association. I really enjoyed Adam, and watching him work through his struggle and eventually accept that some people could believe in him and even care about him; could give him a second chance the way God does with all of us.
Aurora Hastings, who was jilted in book one by Gil O’Leary, joins the story pursuing a career in nursing.  Her mentor, a doctor, is helping her along her path however, her father believes it a passing fancy and in time she will come to marry a man worthy of his approval.  Enter charming, tall Gabe Montgomery, with an Irish lilt, who comes to her rescue at a very fine graduation party for Bree O’Leary, and again later during his duties as a volunteer fire fighter.  
I really do enjoy the heightened danger this writer brings to her books.  Some other authors are either not willing to go there, or have told me their editors don’t think readers want that.  Well, I LIKE the damsel in distress and having a hero or two save the day.  I even like the hero being in danger and having my heart strings pulled all the way to resolution.  (White gloves clapping – good job!)
Gabe and Aurora’s worlds will continue to collide, and a most enjoyable romance takes place, much to the chagrin of her father.
I love when heartwarming animals are woven into a story, and Chester is a sweet dog, who I enjoyed and actually could have done with a bit more of.
            One niggling question remains.  Mary, a new assistant cook of sorts has disappeared.  It was mentioned a couple of times in the book, but we do not find out what has happened to her.  Hopefully we will in book #3.
Internet photo: Maud Herd and her husband Leslie Adkin take tea on the lawn, March 1917.

I also always appreciate tea moments so here are a few: P. 14 “You must be exhausted after your voyage.  Make yourself at home in the parlor, and I’ll boil the water for tea.” P.267 Someone pressed a cup into his hand. “Here, you haven’t eaten all day.  At least have a sip of tea.”  Adam looked up to see his sister.  He blinked and wrapped his fingers around the warm mug.  Brianna rubbed a hand over his back.  “Mama always said a cup of tea could fix anything.” P.269 Maggie set aside the mound of dough she’d been kneading. “You sit. I’ll fix the tea.

“ Bay Lough, Co. Tipperary, Ireland ”
Pinterest

And since MY name is Heather (-smile) P.377 Her eyes became shimmering pools of heather.

The cover of this book was stunning and I love how the back shows a profile of the cover model with a beautiful home and meadows (possibly Irish Meadows) in the a background.

5 STARS

I eagerly await Book #3, Love’s Faithful Promise, available in 2016 (keep updated at the author’s website, www.SusanAnneMason.com

I received an advance copy of the book from Bethany House Publishing as part of the Influencer Team for this author. My opinion is my own, and given freely.
Read: 01/21&22/2016, Reviewed: 01/23/2016
SERIES: Courage to Dream
Irish Meadows - Book#1 – 06/30/2015 (Click Here to Read My Review)
**A Worthy Heart – Book #2 – 01/2016 – 390 Pages
Love’s Faithful Promise – Book #3 – coming 2016

Until next time dear friends, hugs and a cup of tea!





8 comments:

  1. Very fun! Finally connected you with your blog! Looks like a book I'd love to read.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks heather -- I will place my order today. Thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that IS exciting. I hope you enjoy her books as much as I do!!! Thanks for stopping by. ~Heather

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I am truly overwhelmed and humbled by this lovely review! Thank you, Heather!!
    I'm so glad you loved Adam and Maggie as much as I did!
    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you stopped by Susan. It is always wonderful to have the author stop by my little corner of the internet :) I pray great success and blessings for you. Thank you for sharing your talent with us... and special thanks to Jen Turano who told me about you in the 1st place! ~Heather

      Delete
    2. ps: did you see the comment above yours? My blog post resulted in an order of your books! Yay! :-)

      Delete