Thursday, July 2, 2015

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY, Choosing Joy and Shopping Fun

Yesterday, July 1st, I received a most unexpected surprise in the mail from my friend Sam, in Florida.  She shared with me she thought it would be fun to celebrate my birthday, 6 months early, to the day! I met her through a teacup exchange several months ago over at: The Enchanting Rose

and had later sent her a fun package for her birthday.  She used the very same box to send ME a birthday box. Enclosed within my box of goodies, was a note reading SURPRISE! which was placed perfectly so it was the 1st thing I saw.  Next there were goodies wrapped in birthday paper including a teacup notepad and loose tea in a tiny tin!  There are key lime straw cookies (since key limes are a thing in FL), a bag of chocolate covered cranberries, a Florida mug (where Sam is from) which notes that Tallahassee is their state capitol, the mocking bird is their state bird, and orange blossom is their state flower (a personal favorite of mine).  January 1st is my birthday, so she included a sweet little January cup/saucer from Royal Albert bone china, England, and several individual tea bags.  Everything was arranged in a lovely lavender box.  Thank you Sam!  How fun and thoughtful.  I hope you have a wonderful time in Belgium with your cousin :)

~ Now for Some Fun Finds ~
Today, I only had 1 daycare Little in care with me.  Sooooo.... we went shopping of course.
But first,
Positive Art Quote Print wall decor inspirational quotes nursery decor Kids Wall Art Today I choose joy print Motivational quote art ID3-10
Image found on etsy. Click here to purchase.

I thought I'd share something, because maybe it will bless somebody else. You see, something not so nice happened to me today.  I am nearly out of my shampoo & conditioner which is salon grade.  It is  really the only thing I splurge on because it's the only thing I have found that does not bother my head.  My massage therapist friend who used to be able to send a co-worker to  the supply store for "Licensed Hair Professionals" could not help me out this time, so completely outside of my normal character, and with some anxiety, I took a chance and waited in front of the store.  Eventually, somebody came and I approached her and explained my situation, asking if she wouldn't mind getting me my supplies.  She agreed, albeit begrudgingly, I sensed. I thanked her and smiled, and handed over the money.  After about 30 minutes, she came out with my products.  One was much smaller than the other, because it's all that was in stock.  I thanked her again and tipped her $5 for her trouble.  She took it and left.  I buckled up my Little, and prepared to leave.  I decided to count my change and discovered instead of around the $45 she should have given me, she had only given me $28.  I was just ripped off :(
Now, I could get angry, or I could do what I have been trained to do, and what my summer women's bible study group has been studying.  I took it to the Lord in prayer, and asked Him to help me to choose joy.  In the bigger picture, this life and what happens is only temporary, but a vapor.  So, I choose to focus on Eternity.  To solidify that decision I texted my sister and asked her to also lift it up in prayer, knowing full well I tend to re-hash things in my mind.  She texted me comforting words and scripture.  Do you know after that it was so easy to (like the song from Disney's Frozen says) "Let it goooo. Let it goooo" and enjoy my time shopping.  I'm so thankful we have our heavenly Father to run to with our troubles (and a sissy I can run to for prayer).  Now, please don't misinterpret this. In no way is this a pat on my  back.  If just one person finds encouragement in my situation, that's awesome.  I'll probably need reminding of this as I'm learning to 'choose joy' more everyday.  

We headed in to a local Upscale Resale store that is a ministry of a one of our community churches. 


I found this charming toile pillow for $2, the china frame for $1 and the book (story originally written in 1942) for .50c
We brought other goodies home as well.  Children's Veggie Tales VHS tapes and a couple of Christian fiction novels.  We spent a whole hour, taking our time, slowly perusing.  I let the Little push a doll's stroller around she found.  It was heaven.

Then we went to TJ Maxx.
I found these oh-so-fun Matryoshka dolls storage containers.  I have a thing for Matryoshkas & I love that these are white and will go with anything!

I also found more of that Touch Organic tea I blogged about before.  This time, not only the very berry, but also apricot.  I'm looking forard to trying it.  Perhaps I can persuade my sister and nieces to drive out!  I live 2 counties away from her; around 50 miles.  We have crazy freeways here in So Cal, so she jokingly refers to my home as being 'across the pond'. ;)
LOOK at these gorgeous teabag rests I found.  Only $6.99 for a set of 4.  They feature lovely white roses with lavender flowers.  I bought both the sets they had (perhaps some will become gifts).
If you like this round 24" round table cover,
you can get it by clicking here.
 Currently on
sale for only $5!

After that, we headed to the .99c Store.  The one on this particular side of town is SO much nicer, so if I can, I try to stop in.
While browsing I found THESE!
melamine dessert plates.

melamine mini trays
They would be perfect anytime, but especially with children!

I hope you all have an amazing weekend, full of memory-making fun with loved ones, and prayers of thankfulness for our freedoms.
patriotic postcard
Blessings & a cup of tea,
Heather






11 comments:

  1. Heather, wow - from your sweet surprise package, to learning about your rip off, then to see your AMAZING treasures found so frugally. It was a roller coaster post!

    I absolutely ADORE those melamine trays, oh my word they're cute cute cute!

    Have a fun, blessed and very safe holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a day. But good for you rising above the bad part of the day. your trays and plates are pretty and you received a wonderful gift. Happy unbirthday to you, to you. :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a fun post, my friend. I was thrilled to see what sweet Sam sent you.....she had told me she was going to send you a little package for your birthday {even though it's not in July} She is such a darling!

    I hope you had a nice 4th of July, Heather. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie,
      Thank you for stopping by. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  4. Well, this post certainly had my emotions up and down! Up because of the unbirthday gift (delightful!), down because of your getting ripped off (I had a similar situation and also had to "let it go"), and then the delight of your wonderful shopping finds, especially those melamine plates! But that's very much like life, isn't it? I appreciate your lovely attitude about it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      Yes it did. Sorry about that. Yes, life is full of twists and turns. Thank goodness for a loving God to cling to. :) Have a blessed weekend.
      ~Heather

      Delete
  5. I love those little dessert plates! Did you find those at a chain store?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very much inspired by your "choosing joy" story - it actually helped me with a problem I've been having at work - thanks so much for sharing! I enjoyed seeing the photos of all your wonderful finds as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heidi. Just saw your comment. Glad to have helped. :-) Blessings, Heather

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete